Friday, March 16, 2012

We're still here...

Sorry for the lack of updates recently. We've been traveling (Jon: Santander, Virginia; all of us: London and Oxford) and that's meant less time for discretionary activities. A new Spain-related post is in the works, but in the meantime, a couple quick milestones:

A) I arrived at the bread store today to find them out of my favorite variety, and almost completely out of bread in general. However, even though the crabby brother was manning the register, he reported something along the lines of "I tried to set aside some gallega for you, but my brother sold it to someone else." So I guess that means I'm a regular.

B) It's spring! Actually, it's been spring for about 3 weeks already--we saw our first flowering trees at the end of February, and the temperature has been in the 60s and 70s for a couple weeks. Given that the last leaves dropped off the trees in December, it seems awfully early--or maybe my New England soul just can't handle less than 5 months of winter.

For the record, winter in Madrid this year was three weeks of heavy wind, gray skies, and relative cold (40s), surrounded by endless weeks of sunny 50s. Our Madrileno friends tell us that this isn't normal ("Only two weeks of ski season!!"), especially the dryness.

More once Jon gets back and life returns to normal!

No comments:

Post a Comment