Monday, February 15, 2016

Heather's Spanish fails again

So I have almost no ability to communicate with Spanish bus drivers, as evidenced by me (and sometimes one of the Starhills) ending up in the wrong city by accident, by my not getting on the bus that actually does go where I want to go, and by my failing to engage in excited verbal jousting with drivers whom I feel have wronged me. Second to bus drivers, in the communication department, comes hairdressers. Last time I was here I repeatedly asked that my haircut be cut in a "linea recta" -- straight line. But almost every time, I ended up with a Jennifer Aniston fringe. Eventually, I just grew my hair out.

This weekend, I visited my linguistic incompetence on the boys. Apparently, my Spanish for “long on top, short on the sides” means “give my boy a haircut that looks like Ronaldo’s." As in:





Seth got the first haircut, beaming at himself in the mirror the entire time. Here's how he ended up looking:



As you can see, Seth's very proud of his new hair. Nathan went second, and because he's more conservative than his brother, I tried to explain to the hairdresser that his should be longer, that Nathan doesn’t like fashionable haircuts, basically pleading with her to do nothing rash. And here's how Nathan looks:

Considerably less psyched about the haircut than Seth, as you can see. His new nickname in the family is Neymar, presumably after this gentleman:



Lesson on life in Spain 101: Don't trust google translate when dealing with hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment