Saturday, June 16, 2012

Town band

So it's 9:30 pm, and I'm sitting in bed after a loong Saturday with the kids. Thinking about going to bed early. When out of the blue, I hear (we all hear) booming song, apparently coming from the nearby park.

We rush to the windows but can see nothing, because the other part of our ubanizacion is in the way. Nora conjectures that some folks are singing the Eliyahu, but Jon notes that it's pretty unlikely that there's a group of Jews gathered in a Madrid park for Havdalah services.

So I venture out and here's what's going on:


No, that man second from the left isn't wearing a kippah, that's just a reflection of light off the iPhone lens. No, this is actually the town band, with a chorus backing them up. I can tell because we've seen this conductor with his flock at every parade in Alcobendas (by the way, I owe you all some pictures of the marching oboe section).

Sound check was at 9:30. Concert started at 10. Here's part of the song that Nora thought was the Eliyahu -- I'm sure Nana can ID it for everyone who's interested. Some American composer, no doubt.

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I've sung that song in a choral group, a zillion years ago. Can't remember who the composer is, though.

    Hm. I asked Dr. Google, and Google says it's an African-American Spiritual song, and it doesn't list a composer. But I think there was a composer given on the sheet music when I sang it, so I am not convinced that I've found the correct answer. Google also says that Mahaliah Jackson made a famous recording of this song. For whatever that's worth!

    ReplyDelete